Cardiff City transfer grabs headlines as loan star ‘loves it’ at club and Jonny Williams reveals what really happened on exit


These are your headlines from Cardiff City on Sunday April 10

Doughty loves it

Cardiff loan star Alfie Doughty says he has loved his time at the club so far, adding the dressing room is “first class”.

Doughty joined the Bluebirds on loan in January from parent club Stoke City but was injured almost immediately, with a knock to his ankle preventing him from really laying down in South Wales. But since returning to fitness, the youngster has shown what he is capable of and he netted his first goal for the club against Reading at the weekend.

“I love it here and I want to keep playing,” he said. “I loved every second I’ve been here, they’ve shown me respect and the whole dressing room is first class. We just aim to finish as well as possible; we know how good we are, we We have to show how much pressure we can put on all the other teams, and if we win the last six games, who knows where we might end up.

READ MORE: Cardiff City delegates head to the pits, a new man with an armband and what happened full time at Reading

“We have now won five out of six games and it shows how far we have come. There is such high morale within the club and with the boys, and the sky is the limit for next season.”

“The performance was first class and the win showed that,” he added. “It’s a demonstration of the character we have in the team as we bounced back straight away from last week with a win. After their goal went in, we got up and walked away; we don’t give up and we owe the fans to take three points. I also scored my first goal for the club and that’s just one of those feelings that puts you on the right track – luckily it gave us a 2-1 win.”

Williams reveals what happened last summer

Former Cardiff man Jonny Williams has said he wants to stay at the club and has revealed he has the option of signing for clubs overseas before moving to Swindon Town.

Williams joined the Bluebirds under Mick McCarthy in February last year, with the manager describing the move as “one of the best offers of the transfer window”. Sadly that didn’t work out for the Wales man, with only one start to his name in South Wales he was released at the end of that season.

As a free agent he considered his options after the European Championships and eventually signed for League Two side Swindon. His contract expires at the end of the campaign and he has now opened up on what happened when he left the Welsh capital.

“I wanted to reach the Euros, that was my main goal,” he said. “Obviously I wanted to spend more time in Cardiff. But when a team wins eight games in a row, it’s hard to get into the team, you can’t complain, so you have to bide your time and be patient.

“At the end of the day, I really missed playing time that season. I was hopeful, I had a chat with Mick (McCarthy), he said he hoped I would stay the next year but for some reason something obviously changed I was a free agent and I didn’t get as many opportunities as I would have liked to show what I can do. watched over the years knows my strengths and what I can do, and what I can bring to a team, Mick appreciated that.

“I’ve played the majority of my career at Championship level, I still believe I can play at that level, but I haven’t proven or been fit enough in recent years. I wanted to go and play for someone who believed me and someone who was going to play me and there’s no better person than Ben (Garner) at Swindon, who I’ve known since I was about 11 at Crystal Palace .

“I like the way he tried to play football and how he is as a man-manager. He was in Ligue 2 at the time, we had talks back and forth for about four weeks. until the end i was a free agent i had my head all over the place i didn’t know where i wanted to go there were overseas options too and in the end i found myself at Swindon with Ben. I believe everything happens for a reason.”

To receive the latest Cardiff City Stadium transfer news, sign up to our newsletter here.

Etheridge released from hospital

Former Cardiff stopper Neil Etheridge has been released from hospital after being knocked unconscious during Birmingham City’s game against Nottingham Forest on Saturday.

Etheridge collided with Djed Spence in the 60th minute at the City Ground and immediately required medical attention. He was taken to hospital where checks took place, before being released on Saturday evening. In a statement, the Midlands club said: ” After colliding with Nottingham Forest defender Djed Spence in the 60th minute of Saturday’s game, Blues goalkeeper Neil Etheridge lost consciousness and required immediate medical attention on the pitch.

“After a quick response from City Ground medical staff, Etheridge was stabilized before being transferred to Queen’s Medical Center for further evaluation. Fortunately, CT scans revealed no head bone injuries, but a Considerable swelling on the right side of his face which bore the brunt of the impact.After close consultation with club medical staff, he was cleared to return home late on Saturday evening.

“The club will be following the FA’s concussion protocol over the next few days while continuously monitoring Etheridge’s condition to ensure his safe return to action. We would like to express our thanks to the staff at the City Ground and the Queen’s Medical Center in Nottingham for their quick and efficient response to what was an extremely worrying situation.”


Comments are closed.